Why United Way?
We tackle root causes – United Way takes on huge issues no single group can solve alone. Your gift drives programs that get to the roots of our biggest problems. By giving through United Way, you support the greatest needs in Oshkosh.
United Way is trustworthy – We monitor the groups that get your money, ensuring they are financially responsible and show results. You can trust us to use your money for the best impact.
United Way is local – Your money stays in the Oshkosh area. Your gifts help grassroots nonprofits who understand local needs. With United Way’s grants, our partners focus more on shared work and less on fundraising. Together, we accomplish more than anyone can alone or through a single charity.
What Does United Way Do?
- Oshkosh Area United Way works with local leaders to identify the biggest needs in the Oshkosh area.
- 99% of the money donated here stays here.
- We offer grants to programs that address these issues to improve the quality of life for everyone.
- 46% of people cannot afford basic needs in Oshkosh. As a result, United Way impacts 1 in 3 people with its funded programs.
- By working on key issues, we take steps to improve our community.
- Oshkosh Area United Way is committed to creating chances for everyone to thrive.
Oshkosh Area United Way improves lives by using people and resources to create innovative solutions to local needs.
A community where everyone can succeed.
Over 125 years ago, the leaders who formed United Way crossed cultural, religious and economic boundaries to make a difference through their action. Today, diversity and inclusion are key to our mission, our values and our work.
United Way strives for an inclusive environment that works with the unique contributions of diverse individuals and groups so we can create opportunities for a better life.
United Way takes the broadest view of diversity we can, going past our differences to affirm the essence of all individuals including the background, experiences, skills and perspectives that make each person who they are. Our diverse partners lead us to innovative solutions and the ownership needed to address complex problems.
Diversity and inclusion are at the heart of what it means to LIVE UNITED.
- Collective Good – We believe when one person succeeds, we all succeed.
- Collaboration & Proactive Service – We address community issues by partnering with others to support those in need.
- Compassion & Inclusion – We strengthen our community by promoting empathy, caring, and equity through fair and impartial service.
- Stewardship & Accountability – We instill confidence, show integrity, and provide transparency for our donors, supporters, and stakeholders. We expect funded partners to model the highest standards of ethical conduct.
- Innovation – We advance innovation through new approaches to serve. We challenge the status quo, embrace new approaches, and encourage creative action.
Diversity & Inclusion
United Way strives to be a model of diversity and inclusion. Our Board of Trustees, staff and volunteers reflect the walks of life that make up our world.
We celebrate the attributes and perspectives that make each person who they are. We also believe diversity lets us better address the issues in our community. It is our aim that our partners, strategies and investments reflect these values.
di•ver•si•ty (də-ˈvər-sə-tē) n.: the quality of being different or unique. This includes age; ethnicity; gender; language; physical, mental and developmental abilities; race; religion; sexual orientation; socioeconomic status; work and behavioral styles—and more. Even when people seem the same on the outside, they are different!
in•clu•sion (in-ˈklü-zhən) n.: a strategy to leverage diversity. Diversity always exists in social systems. Inclusion, however, is created. In order to best use diversity, we need an environment where people feel supported and able to do their personal best.